Skip to main content

Not Today

It's funny how you can just be cruising through life, having all if those "life is good" moments and the next thing you know you feel like you've been throat punched out of nowhere. Example: Carlie was at school and was sick. I hate not being able to take care of her when she's sick. I decided to take her antibiotics to her. It was raining and disgusting outside. They had an off day between classes a d clinicals and I knew she needed to be somewhat well before spending the day in the OR. She said she would meet me in the outskirts of town even though I told her I would bring them to her apartment. Five minutes later she called me and said she had a wreck. I think the words that came out of my mouth were, "You have got to be kidding me!". Seven months after her first wreck she wrecked and totaled her second car. I cannot make this stuff up. I was about 20 minutes from her so I got there before the cops and was able to sit with her. I felt so bad for her because she was so sick and now she was so sad. Thankfully nobody was hurt. The accident report states Carlie was at fault and she got a ticket for following too closely.  Carl was furious.
So that was my throat punch. I should honestly have known better than to think just one thing like this would happen. Of course not.

Number 2 was more like a punch to the stomach.  When you get an early morning phone call from the hospital number you know it can't be good. It was not. It was Carl. He was taken into the ER by a friend he hunts with. His blood pressure was extremely high. I remember getting dressed and it felt like everything was going in slow motion. I got to the hospital not really knowing what to expect...but it was worse. He was hardly talking and when he did it was all scrambled and hard to understand. I was scared but trying to stay strong. They transported us to a bigger hospital and sent us to the stroke floor. He started doing much better when we got there because his blood pressure was finally dropping. His speech was much better and he could walk and stand more steadily. After many tests, they decided that he didn't have a stroke. They put him in medicine for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. They also told us of a thing called white matter disease. Evidently it puts him at higher risk for a stroke, alzheimers, and dementia.  Great.
 We went home the next day.

Getting the ultrasound on his heart was pretty cool.

 I cannot tell you how thankful I am that he is better.
 He is taking his medication and seems to feel great. Most of the time I am good but I find myself getting a little anxious every now and then I have to call and check on him. He understands my anxiety and assures me he is fine. We have our first post-hospital appointment this next week. We are praying to get a little clarity on the white matter situation and come up with a plan on where to go from here. 
Almost a year ago when I first felt like the rug was pulled out from under me,  I handled things a lot differently. If there is one thing I have learned, it is that sometimes things don't go like we plan or think they should, but the God that keeps this world spinning has it all under control. He has the best plans. He can use us in whatever situation we find ourselves in. So when all of this happened I just prayed and gave it all to God. I cannot explain the peace I have felt. I know it came from God. My mental health has been transformed!  On those days when I feel the doubt and anxiety creep in, I am able to strongly stand and say, "Not today, satan. Not today.".



Much Love, 
Beth


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Pool Pics!!

Our new pool "do" And the back.... Trey and Maxee Oh, and this would be the first boo-boo of the pool season He fell over his goggles :( Part of our crew for the day! More people=More Fun!!

Back To School Photo Shoot: The Girls

The girls were of course more than eager to do their pictures, T however, was not.  That is why we still haven't done it yet!  Hmmm....maybe a bribe would work!  He's been wanting Open Season 2 out of the $5 bin at Wal-Mart :)  We are super excited about Open House tomorrow night and about school on Monday :)  Beth 

Three Doses of Happiness

Laundry piled up, dishes in the sink, phone buzzing with many emails, toys all over the house.......sounds like an absolute perfect time to go outside and relax with my kiddos! Today has been a VERY warm day.  It probably would be more enjoyable if we didn't know that it would more than likely storm tonight!  Carlie didn't go to school today because she was up a lot last night with stomach issues.  She never vomited, but she was very nauseated and has had stomach cramps.  She hasn't felt bad all day, just off and one.  We might be going to the doctor tomorrow p.m. because Sunday night I noticed that she has a little bulge above her belly button, I wasn't concerned about it (really) until her stomach started hurting and she said that it hurt to tough.  Maybe it's nothing, but people keep mentioning hernia to me.  Please pray that she feels better soon.  Also tomorrow is the big day....academic advising.  I remember the very first time I was advised (somewhere a