Skip to main content

That Word:Tales of a Ranting Mama

Let me just start off by saying we have had a wonderful summer. We've gone to the beach and the lake. We've survived VBS and Revival and we've had lots of family time!
On our Summer adventures however, I have heard (sometimes by strangers and sometimes by family/friends) this word too many times: FAT.
I guess I never realized how overused this word is or how much we DON'T use it at our house.
I may be crucified for this, but TO ME, using that word to describe someone (old or young) is AS BAD AS using the "N" word to describe African Americans.
I realize that it has been socially acceptable to call people fat, but it also used to be socially acceptable to call blacks the "N" word and those who are mentally slow, "retards". In a society that has "moved forward " so much, why is this label still acceptable?
I am sick and tired of hearing it. And another thing, quit teaching it to your kids!
Find another adjective, people! Or better yet, find a new frame of mind!
After all, it is in the Bible that what flows from your mouth comes from your heart!
And as a side note, I have never in my life been over weight. Even as a pregnant person, I was in my weight-range or under. That being said, I have seen first hand the power that one little word can have on a kid. Please, just teach your kids to be kind to others no matter what their shape or size.
I knew from the beginning that this would come out sounding angry, and I really don't care. Sometimes I just want to scream something childish like, "I may be fat, but you're ugly and at least I can go on a diet!". I have also wanted to throat punch a few of adults that I have heard saying it!







So, that's the end of this "Tales of a Ranting Mama" post. Stay tuned, there are likely to be more!
Much Love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Pool Pics!!

Our new pool "do" And the back.... Trey and Maxee Oh, and this would be the first boo-boo of the pool season He fell over his goggles :( Part of our crew for the day! More people=More Fun!!

Back To School Photo Shoot: The Girls

The girls were of course more than eager to do their pictures, T however, was not.  That is why we still haven't done it yet!  Hmmm....maybe a bribe would work!  He's been wanting Open Season 2 out of the $5 bin at Wal-Mart :)  We are super excited about Open House tomorrow night and about school on Monday :)  Beth 

Three Doses of Happiness

Laundry piled up, dishes in the sink, phone buzzing with many emails, toys all over the house.......sounds like an absolute perfect time to go outside and relax with my kiddos! Today has been a VERY warm day.  It probably would be more enjoyable if we didn't know that it would more than likely storm tonight!  Carlie didn't go to school today because she was up a lot last night with stomach issues.  She never vomited, but she was very nauseated and has had stomach cramps.  She hasn't felt bad all day, just off and one.  We might be going to the doctor tomorrow p.m. because Sunday night I noticed that she has a little bulge above her belly button, I wasn't concerned about it (really) until her stomach started hurting and she said that it hurt to tough.  Maybe it's nothing, but people keep mentioning hernia to me.  Please pray that she feels better soon.  Also tomorrow is the big day....academic advising.  I remember the very first time I was advised (somewhere a