Skip to main content

A Homeschool Update

It's official, as of today we have 19 school days left in the 2017-18 school year! We are ready for warmer weather, the pool, the river, and no schedules!
This year has been a tough one for many reasons. One of the main reasons is Plane Geometry. I never had to to take Geometry in HS. I think I switched out 3 maths for 3 sciences, anyway..I basically have no idea what they are doing. My girls have always been strong in math and algebra, well Geometry isn't really math. It has been a thorn in my side since day one. It doesn't really help that their video teacher is terrible. We are pulling A's but I don't know what we would have done without Khan Academy or YouTube! We are ready to say "so long" to Mr. Collins.
Trey had had a fairly easy year this year. I remember from the girls that 6th grade was pretty easy but 7th is a lot more challenging. He is doing really well in most all of his subjects. He just doesn't always love doing his whole math page. He thinks after he learned the new concept for the day that he doesn't need to do the review over the past weeks lesson. He has enjoyed science and language/creative writing a lot this year and has really stepped his reading comprehension up. He doesn't care for History (it's new world) and Spelling will never be his favorite.
So what subjects do the girls really enjoy? Well, Carlie loves Physics and World History and Makena enjoys U.S. History and Biology.
My favorites are the girls Bible classes. Carlie has Kings of Isreal and Makena has Bible Doctrines. I learn lots from them ;)
Will we homeschool again next year? Absolutely!
Will we use ABeka again? We will use them at least for the next two years. I want the girls to finish up with them. All three of my kids have only done ABeka since Kindergarten. My only problem with them is their billing and customer service, which is pretty important when that is your only contact with your school. Seriously, two months in a row I got charged for 2 months tuition at a time. I wasn't even behind on payments, it was just a glitch in their system but a major pain for me! Hopefully they will have all of that fixed by the time school starts back in the fall.
What about graduation plans? Well, the plan is to graduate and walk in Pensacola, next May. If things change we will do the graduation commencement in Searcy with the other homeschoolers in our state. There are pros and cons to them both. We are still praying about it, but if we had to choose today, it would be Pensacola.
So for now we are finishing up on a few chapter tests, book reports, and compositions before we start on our final exams, the first week of May.
We will most definitely be ready for summer break, we just aren't there yet...still chugging along.
So that is my homeschool update. Lots of fun things to come for these five Mungers!

Much Love,
Beth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Pool Pics!!

Our new pool "do" And the back.... Trey and Maxee Oh, and this would be the first boo-boo of the pool season He fell over his goggles :( Part of our crew for the day! More people=More Fun!!

Back To School Photo Shoot: The Girls

The girls were of course more than eager to do their pictures, T however, was not.  That is why we still haven't done it yet!  Hmmm....maybe a bribe would work!  He's been wanting Open Season 2 out of the $5 bin at Wal-Mart :)  We are super excited about Open House tomorrow night and about school on Monday :)  Beth 

Three Doses of Happiness

Laundry piled up, dishes in the sink, phone buzzing with many emails, toys all over the house.......sounds like an absolute perfect time to go outside and relax with my kiddos! Today has been a VERY warm day.  It probably would be more enjoyable if we didn't know that it would more than likely storm tonight!  Carlie didn't go to school today because she was up a lot last night with stomach issues.  She never vomited, but she was very nauseated and has had stomach cramps.  She hasn't felt bad all day, just off and one.  We might be going to the doctor tomorrow p.m. because Sunday night I noticed that she has a little bulge above her belly button, I wasn't concerned about it (really) until her stomach started hurting and she said that it hurt to tough.  Maybe it's nothing, but people keep mentioning hernia to me.  Please pray that she feels better soon.  Also tomorrow is the big day....academic advising.  I remember the very first time I was advised (somewhere a