Skip to main content

Check Your Heart

If you have ever watched the comedian, John Crist, you kind of get the reference of the title of this post. If you haven't heard of him, go to YouTube and look him up...he is quite hilarious.
I have purposely been spending more time with Carlie lately. She will likely be leaving for college in the fall, so all the mom guilt of times past has been racing through my mind. We were out for a little ride one day and a specific person came up in our conversation. We both agreed on our feelings about them. This person is loud and abnoxous, and things that aren't very smart come out of his/her mouth on the regular. This reminded me of an event that I recently came home from. I was angry and hurt at a particular person. Then I came across a podcast with Bob Goff.  I have recently read the books, "Everybody, Always" and "Love Does", both by Bob Goff so  I decided to listen to it.  Ya'll. It was exactly what I needed to calm me down that night. It spoke of the exact feelings I was going through.  So, I passed my recent knowledge along to my dear daughter in hopes that it would help her. Here is the main question: How do you love those people who are difficult to love? I mean it's pretty easy to love the easy-to-love folks...they are low-hanging fruit. If we want a real report card on our faith, we have to look at how we love and engage with those difficult-to-love people. Bob goes on to say that we should try to spend time (on purpose) with those people who may not be our jam (the ones who grate our nerves like sand paper).
Here is a little insight on the real me: Without Jesus I am critical, harsh, hard, and sharp.  It is my natural default to tell you what I perceive is wrong, and then tell you how to fix it (even if you don't ask). Anchored in Christ, I can bring these not-so-great qualities to God and say, "I'm not doing so well with them on my own. Help me?". 
Here is the answer that I KNOW, that we all KNOW: Trust God. Trust Him. Stop replaying all that you think is wrong....and start praising what is right.  Let's not major in the minors. Let's not let the little things steamroll us. I mean, you would think since we know all of this that it wouldn't be a thing; but negativity is a bully.  It shouts all day long (a silent scream that only you can hear). It will drain you until you become discouraged, angry, and bitter.
So how can we love those difficult-to-love people?  By trusting God, and encouraging them.  See, it's not for us to see what those people have to work out in their lives.  We have to work out our own stuff with God.  I have decided that we should be talking about others behind their backs constantly...just about the right stuff, i.e. speaking well of each other, instead of all of the rest of the stuff we say. How will we know the good things to say about our "sandpaper folks"? Spend time with them. I have by no means mastered this yet.  I am still a work-in-progress, but hopefully I am heading I the right direction. It's (this life is) all about God, and God is love.
I sure hope that this helps someone as much as it helped me!

Much Love,
Beth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Pool Pics!!

Our new pool "do" And the back.... Trey and Maxee Oh, and this would be the first boo-boo of the pool season He fell over his goggles :( Part of our crew for the day! More people=More Fun!!

Back To School Photo Shoot: The Girls

The girls were of course more than eager to do their pictures, T however, was not.  That is why we still haven't done it yet!  Hmmm....maybe a bribe would work!  He's been wanting Open Season 2 out of the $5 bin at Wal-Mart :)  We are super excited about Open House tomorrow night and about school on Monday :)  Beth 

Three Doses of Happiness

Laundry piled up, dishes in the sink, phone buzzing with many emails, toys all over the house.......sounds like an absolute perfect time to go outside and relax with my kiddos! Today has been a VERY warm day.  It probably would be more enjoyable if we didn't know that it would more than likely storm tonight!  Carlie didn't go to school today because she was up a lot last night with stomach issues.  She never vomited, but she was very nauseated and has had stomach cramps.  She hasn't felt bad all day, just off and one.  We might be going to the doctor tomorrow p.m. because Sunday night I noticed that she has a little bulge above her belly button, I wasn't concerned about it (really) until her stomach started hurting and she said that it hurt to tough.  Maybe it's nothing, but people keep mentioning hernia to me.  Please pray that she feels better soon.  Also tomorrow is the big day....academic advising.  I remember the very first time I was advised (somewhere a