Skip to main content

A Tough Pill To Swallow

Let's talk about something serious for a minute, shall we? We all know that I am not a huge fan of wordy, opinionated, serious posts but this one has been on my mind.
Forgiveness. It's a nice little three syllable word that requires effort that we have to be ready and willing to give. Our church is just coming off of a week of Vacation Bible School. I have been studying these lessons for roughly a month and have been convicted from the beginning. I never really knew that I struggled so much with this until about a year ago. I have always been a pretty forgiving person...it may take a little while but I have always been able to move on..or so I thought. Since the study of this I have realized that I haven't actually forgiven...I mean really forgiven like I need to. My solution the majority of the time is avoidance. Out of sight, out of mind is pretty much my mantra. I don't really forgive, I try to forget. The saying, "you're dead to me" comes to mind. I typically hate that saying but upon reflecting, that is the way I live.
It always comes back to when God forgave us. He sent His Son for us. I think we hear this so much that we sort of become callous to the sound of it and refuse to think about what that really means. He had to turn His back on His only Son while he was on that cross. Here is the thing: if (more like when) we show sin towards God, He allows us to reap the benefits to repentance. He does good to the evil person AND He COMMANDS us to do the same.
" But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use and persecute you....." Matthew 5:44
See the command there?
How do you forgive when you feel you have been done so wrong? How do you forgive when the person you are to forgive doesn't take responsibility for their actions or even think their actions require forgiveness?!
We have to see them as God sees them and see ourselves as God sees us. We have to dwell on what God did for us instead of the wrong that has been done to us by that person. We have to ask for God's help, because let's face it, Satan will be there to remind us of what that person did as soon as we take our focus off of God.
So, now I know what I have to do (I've always known, by the way). The question is, do I continue to avoid or do I obey God, who commands me to love and forgive? It sounds like a no-brainer when you put it that way. Satan will make it sound so hard, but God is an Almighty God. I can do this and so can you!

Much Love,
Beth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Pool Pics!!

Our new pool "do" And the back.... Trey and Maxee Oh, and this would be the first boo-boo of the pool season He fell over his goggles :( Part of our crew for the day! More people=More Fun!!

Back To School Photo Shoot: The Girls

The girls were of course more than eager to do their pictures, T however, was not.  That is why we still haven't done it yet!  Hmmm....maybe a bribe would work!  He's been wanting Open Season 2 out of the $5 bin at Wal-Mart :)  We are super excited about Open House tomorrow night and about school on Monday :)  Beth 

Three Doses of Happiness

Laundry piled up, dishes in the sink, phone buzzing with many emails, toys all over the house.......sounds like an absolute perfect time to go outside and relax with my kiddos! Today has been a VERY warm day.  It probably would be more enjoyable if we didn't know that it would more than likely storm tonight!  Carlie didn't go to school today because she was up a lot last night with stomach issues.  She never vomited, but she was very nauseated and has had stomach cramps.  She hasn't felt bad all day, just off and one.  We might be going to the doctor tomorrow p.m. because Sunday night I noticed that she has a little bulge above her belly button, I wasn't concerned about it (really) until her stomach started hurting and she said that it hurt to tough.  Maybe it's nothing, but people keep mentioning hernia to me.  Please pray that she feels better soon.  Also tomorrow is the big day....academic advising.  I remember the very first time I was advised (somewhere a