Skip to main content

Wrong Focus

 Have you ever been so focused on what was bothering you that you completely missed what God was trying to show you? I have. And apparently Jonah did too.

Most of us know Jonah as the man who ran from God, got swallowed by a great fish, finally obeyed, and went to Nineveh. But sometimes I think the most convicting part of Jonah's story comes after all of that. Because Jonah finally did what God told him to do-- and then got upset when God showed mercy.

Nineveh repented. God spared the city. And instead of celebrating, Jonah was angry. Then God caused a plant to grow and give Jonah shade. Jonah was pretty happy about that plant. But the next day, God allowed a worm to destroy it. And Jonah was miserable. He was so upset over that plant that he said he would rather die than live without it. 

That's when God asked him question that gets right to the heart of the matter. Jonah cared deeply about a plant he hadn't planted, grown, or really done anything for. Yet he was angry with God for caring about an entire city filled with people.

Then we come to Jonah 4:11:

"And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?"

Jonah had the wrong focus. He was focused on his comfort. God was focused on souls.

Jonah was concerned about his shade. God was concerned about a city.

Jonah was upset about what he had lost. God was looking at people who desperately needed mercy.

And if I'm not careful, I can be a lot like Jonah. I can become so focused on what is inconvenient, uncomfortable, disappointing, or unfair in my little corner of the world that I forget to look around and see what God sees. 

We can get upset because church didn't go the way we wanted, someone didn't treat us the way we thought they should, our plans changed, our comfort was interrupted, or life simply didn't cooperate.

Meanwhile, there are people all around us who need Jesus. Sometimes we're worried about the plant while God is worried about Nineveh. 

Ouch.

There is nothing wrong with caring about the things happening in our lives. God cares about those things too. But problems begin when those things become so big in our eyes that we can no longer see what matters to Him.

Maybe the better question isn't always, "God why did You let this happen to me?" Maybe it should be, "God what are You trying to help me see?"

Maybe that frustrating person needs grace. 

Maybe that interruption is an opportunity to love somebody.

Maybe that difficult season is teaching us that comfort was never supposed to be our greatest concern.

And maybe some of the things we are spending so much emotional energy worrying about are temporary plants while God is trying to turn our attention towards eternal things.


Jonah 4 ends without telling us how Jonah responded to God's question. And I think there is something powerful about that. Because in a way, the question is left hanging for us too: What do I care about most? My comfort or God's purpose? Being right or showing mercy? Getting my way or seeing people come to know Him? Temporary things or eternal souls?

Lord, help us recognize when our focus has shifted. Help us care about what You care about. When we become consumed with our comfort, our frustrations, or our own little plans, turn our eyes back toward You.

Sometimes the biggest problem isn't what we're looking at. It's what we're failing to see.

Much Love,

Beth


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

 Happy Friday, Friends! Today I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for another Friday Favorites. What a week it has been! Having picnics with Wrenley and Makena were pretty high up on my favorites list. She wanted a lunchable (big surprise there!) while Makena and I had tuna salad. Playing outside is a must with Wrenley! And she loves making sure the bird bath has plenty of water! Another thing on my favorites list is listening to Trey play the guitar. This smile is also my favorite! We had a celebration for my son-in-law, Caleb this week. He is a pretty great guy and we are thankful that he is "ours" now :)  He is my favorite son-in-law! As I was studying for my Gospel Project lesson earlier this week I realized we only have 3 more lessons! That means that summer break is just 3 weeks away (for our Wednesday night program)! Although I will still have to prepare lessons for Sunday School and VBS.  Summer is my favorite! This summer will be extra sp...

Friday Favorites

 Woo Hoo, it's Friday! Just last week I was talking about how this month is flying by, but this week has moved at a snail's pace! Today, I am linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for Friday Favorites. I have been working on my fitness for about a year now, more seriously in the past 6 months. One thing I've worked on is getting my daily protein in. I tried the built puff protein bars a while ago and they are wonderful, but earlier this week I found the sour puffs, and wow, those things are surprisingly amazing!! I've also taken the new year to do a little more for myself. I started ordering from Nuuly (a monthly clothing subscription). I have found serveral brands that I have wanted to try. There is no pressure to buy anything. You just simply pick 6 items, wear them for the month and send it back and then pick 6 more items (of course, you can purchase if you like). This is a new favorite of mine. At the end of November I bought tickets to the Jason Aldean conce...

Friday Favorites

 Happy Friday, friends! Today I am linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for another Friday Favorites. This is going to be a rapid-fire Friday favorites because it is getting late and I have to wake up extra early to pick up a special little girl :) The said little girl! Nobody ever told me how much you love your grandbabies! Spending time with Wrenley is always one of my favorites💗 Another one of my favorite things is watching Makena present. This time she was on her "home turf". She did a presentation on The Stuttgart Army Airfield for a historical group at our community center. They had their biggest turnout for a meeting because Makena has so many people who support her and love her. We are thankful for everyone who came. Of course she did a great job. I'm always proud of her. It is always a favorite any time I get a video or picture of my grandson, Wesley. I can't wait until June! My gentle giant, Boone, wanting to do his favorite thing: GO OUTSIDE! Makena ...