Skip to main content

Portaits of History

About four months ago my Grammy called and wanted us to come down and look at some old pictures she had. It surprised me that the kids enjoyed going through them also.
Here are a few of my faves:
My Grammy.
I had seen this before but it has long been a favorite of mine.
I guess I have always been intrigued because I wondered what little Lois was thinking. She has such a somber look on her face. Was she tired? Was she worried because she was beginning school later than the other kids? Did she want to wear that dress? Was she ready to go play with her brothers and sisters? Whatever it was, I think she was adorable. If I'm not mistaken, she told me that her mother made this dress for her.
She also told me that she hated having to start school a month later than the other kids because she had to help her family get the cotton crop out. There was no hiding who you were...everybody knew that the the poor, sharecroppers kids would start school late. It embarrassed her. 

This is my great- grandma (Grammy's mother).
Something about this picture just makes me think of the strong woman she was.
She saw many hardships here on earth but I am as sure as one can be about the fact that she is living it up now, painlessly praising Jesus on the golden streets of Heaven. She may not have left her children a grand inhertence but she left them a legacy of love and hope. 

This is my grandpa's mother, Daisy.
I never met her, nor did her grandkids.
I don't even really know a lot about her other than she died of TB when my grandpa was about 13. She left behind a husband, 2 step-sons, 4 children of her own, and was proceeded in death by 2 children.
When we talk about the "good old days" or more "simple times", I think we forget about how simple things really were...especially when it came to our knowledge about medicine. One of her children that passed before her was a twin named Jack. Ironically his twin sister's name is Jill and he died when he rolled off of a bed (as a toddler) and hit his head (now the nursery rhyme comes to mind...). Her other child was born just a few weeks before she herself died. The baby girl's name was Hazel and lived for only three days. I am reminded of these tragedies each time I hear someone speak of the "good old days". I am personally glad that I live in the time that I do.

I love, love, love this one! 
This is my Grammy, Papa, and two of my mom's brothers.
Something about it just makes me happy. My grandparents look so young and full of life. 
Really, I am just obsessed with old pictures. 

To have first hand stories to go with the pictures is absolutely priceless. I think that my kids also realize just how awesome it is to hear and see about the past. We learn so much from the past; not just about our families but also about mistakes that were made, great things that were done. There's just so much good stuff!

These photos of times past are part of MY history. It doesn't matter if I like it or not. I didn't come from a family that lived a life of luxury. They worked hard to have everything they had no matter how much or little it may have been. 

Much Love,
Beth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Pool Pics!!

Our new pool "do" And the back.... Trey and Maxee Oh, and this would be the first boo-boo of the pool season He fell over his goggles :( Part of our crew for the day! More people=More Fun!!

Back To School Photo Shoot: The Girls

The girls were of course more than eager to do their pictures, T however, was not.  That is why we still haven't done it yet!  Hmmm....maybe a bribe would work!  He's been wanting Open Season 2 out of the $5 bin at Wal-Mart :)  We are super excited about Open House tomorrow night and about school on Monday :)  Beth 

Three Doses of Happiness

Laundry piled up, dishes in the sink, phone buzzing with many emails, toys all over the house.......sounds like an absolute perfect time to go outside and relax with my kiddos! Today has been a VERY warm day.  It probably would be more enjoyable if we didn't know that it would more than likely storm tonight!  Carlie didn't go to school today because she was up a lot last night with stomach issues.  She never vomited, but she was very nauseated and has had stomach cramps.  She hasn't felt bad all day, just off and one.  We might be going to the doctor tomorrow p.m. because Sunday night I noticed that she has a little bulge above her belly button, I wasn't concerned about it (really) until her stomach started hurting and she said that it hurt to tough.  Maybe it's nothing, but people keep mentioning hernia to me.  Please pray that she feels better soon.  Also tomorrow is the big day....academic advising.  I remember the very first time I was advised (somewhere a