Skip to main content

Pumpkin Carving with Discovery

Wednesday night we did our annual pumpkin carving with our Discovery friends at church. I took a few pictures and about 75% of them are unusable. Somehow my settings got changed to something wonky and well, the pictures are some of the oddest I have ever seen.  Very strange.
Anyway, while Bro. Adam read the Pumpkin Prayer we followed along by carving our pumpkin according to the story.  Now, I'm not gonna lie.  In years past this has been a very chaotic project.  I mean so many kids and KNIVES! This year seemed to go much better.  We tried to have an adult or teen for each small kid.  We were missing some of our adults because my uncle and cousin are still in FL and some of our adults are just in poor health these days.  Let's face it, people get old and health fades.  It stinks, but that's life.  Carlie ended up helping and was unable to carve her own pumpkin, but she did bring it home.

First step was to cut the top off:
Open my mind so I learn about you (Ps.100:3)
And then to dig the yuck out:
Take all my sin and forgive me wrong that I do. (1John 1:9)


Step 3: Cut out the eyes (heart shaped)
Open my eyes so Your love I will see (Ps. 119:18)

Step 4: Cut the nose in the shape of a cross
I'm sorry for times I've turned my nose up at what you've given me (Ps 51:10)

Step 5: Make ears in the shape of Bibles
Open my ears so Your Word I will hear (Isaiah 55:3)

Step 6: Cut the mouth in the shape of the Jesus fish
Open my mouth to tell others You're near (Ps.118:17)

Step 6: place the light in
Let Your light shine in all I say and do (Matt. 5:16)

I helped Addie carve her pumpkin. She is one our neighbors and is also a homeschooler.
Carlie tutored her for a little while last year and she is just a sweetheart.


The only picture I got of Carlie (right side, yellow shirt).

I think my favorite part of this activity is seeing the young and the old work side-by-side. We are a small rural church. Yes, we have separate Sunday school (and Discovery most Wednesday nights) classes for each age but we also have times where we work together, side by side learning. Our previous pastor was a young guy from a fairly large church (in a city). I really don't think that he had ever been taught how to speak to or work in a church with older people. The teens at his former church went in their own rooms and did their own things, rarely to "mix" with adults or older people. I look back at how much I have learned by working along side of both young kids and elderly adults. We all have so much to learn from each other and so much love to give. I just think it's a shame for our kids to miss out on opportunities to learn from the more experienced. 

It was a great night spent with good people and maybe a few wild kids!

Much Love,
Beth









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Morning Chit-Chat

  Happy Monday, friends! Well, here we are again. Another Monday morning, another fresh week, and another cup of coffee that I'm hoping will magically give me the energy to accomplish all the things on my to-do list. Spoiler alert: It probably won't. But I'm going to drink it anyway. I thought we would start this week with a little old-fashioned chit-chat. Nothing too serious, nothing life changing. Just a little catching up on life lately, a few random thoughts, and whatever else happens to pop into my head. you know, the kind of conversation we'd have if you stopped by my house, pulled up a chair, and stayed a while. So grab your coffee (or whatever gets you going in the morning), and let's visit. First things first...it's October! This year is absolutely flying by. I love this time of year. The cozy evenings, the fall decorations, the soups and comfort foods, and the excuse to stay home in my pajamas a little longer. Now if Arkansas could just get the memo t...

What's Up Wednesday

 Happy What's Up Wednesday! Today I am linking up with  Shay  and  Sheaffer  for another "What's Up Wednesday" Let's do this! What we're eating this week... So far this week we have made: Wings on the Pit Boss Slow Cooker Pineapple Pork Chops You can't get any easier than wings and chops! Especially when they are on the grill and slow cooker!! What I'm Reminiscing About... Septembers past: September is Trey's birth month. It is also the month that my grandpa died four years ago. This is the year that Papa gave Trey a gun for his birthday. He was so proud to give it to Trey and you can tell by the look on Trey's face how happy he was. Such a sweet moment to remember. Our county fair is also in September. My kids used to love it when they were younger. They still love rides, just not the traveling kind :) This was Wrenley's school picture last year. She has grown so much in one year :) What I'm Loving... Makena and my mom have started mak...

Be Her: When Our Ideal Self Becomes an Idol

 Ella Langley's "Be Her" got me thinking about something I think a lot of women struggle with- the woman we think we should be.  You know her. She's more disciplined. More confident. More put together. She exercises, keeps the house clean, reads her Bible every morning, never loses her patience, and somehow always has good hair. We tell ourselves, If I could just be her..... And there's nothing wrong with wanting to grow. But what happens when the woman we want to become turns into an idol? Sometimes we become so focused on our ideal self that we forget to ask God who He wants us to become. There's a subtle difference between praying, "Lord, make me more like Christ," and saying, "Lord, help me to become the woman I've decided I need to be." One is surrender. The other can easily become control.  Philippians 1:6 reminds us that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. God isn't waiting fo...