Skip to main content

The Thief


There is a thief among us. This thief doesn't steal possessions or money,  but instead steals memories and thoughts, leaving behind nothing but a shell of what used to be our loved ones.
This thief is dementia. 
Did you know that there are over 100 types of dementia? Some of the more common types are Alzheimers, Vascular, Lewy Body, and Frontotemperal. In fact, in 2015 alone there were over five million patients and new patients develop the disease every sixty-seven seconds.
Why am I telling you this? Because I am affected by this on a daily basis (or whenever I subject myself to a visit with my Grammy). 
It's so hard and so sad. There are lots of things I want to talk to her about. Some days are better than others. Some days she will ask me the same thing no less than 15 times in 30 minutes. Some days we can laugh with her about things she says, but some days it's just sad. Her body is still here but her mind is fading away.

And now it's story time:
When I was a little girl I was shopping with my Grammy and threw a fit for a dark skinned doll. Of course she bought it for me. I loved that doll and named it Cecil (nobody knows where the name came from). I still have the doll in storage somewhere. 
Yesterday my mom took Grammy and my niece, Ellie Kate to shop at Wal-Mart.  Grammy told Ellie that she would buy her something so they were looking down the toy aisle and that's when Grammy spotted this little dark skinned baby doll. She told my mom that she was buying it for me. I think my mom said something like, "Mama, she's forty something years old" to which she replied, "I don't care, those are good memories and I'm buying it for her". While this doll isn't nearly as dark as Cecil, it is the same size, just softer (they didn't have these soft ones in the late 70's/early 80's). Whatever it was about it, it jogged her memory a bit and she was determined to buy it! She brought it down to me yesterday afternoon. Mom had already given me a heads up, so I carried on with her about the memories I had of Cecil, the OG.
I know she will only get worse, and that's probably one of the worst things about this disease. I can't imagine how scary it must be for her to be lost somewhere in her own mind.  I  miss her desperately. 
I have to remind myself of this:

Much Love,
Beth



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Pool Pics!!

Our new pool "do" And the back.... Trey and Maxee Oh, and this would be the first boo-boo of the pool season He fell over his goggles :( Part of our crew for the day! More people=More Fun!!

Back To School Photo Shoot: The Girls

The girls were of course more than eager to do their pictures, T however, was not.  That is why we still haven't done it yet!  Hmmm....maybe a bribe would work!  He's been wanting Open Season 2 out of the $5 bin at Wal-Mart :)  We are super excited about Open House tomorrow night and about school on Monday :)  Beth 

Three Doses of Happiness

Laundry piled up, dishes in the sink, phone buzzing with many emails, toys all over the house.......sounds like an absolute perfect time to go outside and relax with my kiddos! Today has been a VERY warm day.  It probably would be more enjoyable if we didn't know that it would more than likely storm tonight!  Carlie didn't go to school today because she was up a lot last night with stomach issues.  She never vomited, but she was very nauseated and has had stomach cramps.  She hasn't felt bad all day, just off and one.  We might be going to the doctor tomorrow p.m. because Sunday night I noticed that she has a little bulge above her belly button, I wasn't concerned about it (really) until her stomach started hurting and she said that it hurt to tough.  Maybe it's nothing, but people keep mentioning hernia to me.  Please pray that she feels better soon.  Also tomorrow is the big day....academic advising.  I remember the very first time I was advised (somewhere a