Skip to main content

4 Ways for Women to Age Well

Getting older is a funny thing. When you're younger, you think 40 sounds old. Then you get 40 and you realize you were clearly very confused. And somewhere along the way, birthdays start coming around a whole lot faster than they used to. 
There are definitely things about aging that I could do without. The random aches and pains, needing reading glasses to see a menu, and realizing that staying up too late and requires a recovery period all come to mind. But there are also some really good things about getting older. 
You know yourself better. You care a little less about what everybody else thinks. You start figuring out what-- and who -- is actually worth your time. And hopefully, you begin to realize that aging well isn't really about trying to stay young. It's about taking care of this life you have right now.
So instead of talking about wrinkle creams, gray hairs, or trying to turn back the clock, I thought I'd share four ways we can age well-- body, mind, heart, and soul.



  1. 1. Take Care of Your Body
  2. I'm not talking about trying to fit into the jeans you wore when you were 22. Honestly, some things are better left in the past, and low-rise jeans (even if they may be having a bit of a moment right now) may be one of them! 
  3. Taking care of our bodies as we get older looks a little different. It becomes less about the number on the scale and more about feeling good, staying strong, and being able to do the things we want to do.
  4. Walk. Lift some weights. Drink your water. Eat foods that make you fell good most of the time (and eat the birthday cake too!) 
  5. Get enough sleep. Keep your doctor's appointments and don't put off those screenings just because they're inconvenient.
  6. Our bodies have carried us through a lot of life. They've raised babies, worked long days, survived sleepless nights, hauled groceries, chased kids and grandkids, and gotten us through some pretty hard times.
  7. Taking care of them now isn't vanity. It's gratitude.
        2. Keep Learning New Things
        One of the quickest ways to start feeling old might be deciding you're too old 
        to try anything new. 
        Read the book. Take the trip. Learn how to use the new app even though you'd
        really prefer they stop changing where all the buttons are. Try a new recipe.            Pick up a hobby. Listen to music you've never heard before. Talk to people 
        who aren't exactly like you.
        Stay curious.
        There is still so much to learn, no matter how many birthdays we've 
        celebrated. And don't convince yourself that you've missed your chance to do
        something. People start businesses, go back to school, learn new skills, 
        change careers, travel, write books, start blogs, and discover things they love
        at every age. 
        You aren't finished becoming who you're going to be!

        3. Invest in the People Who Matter
        The older I get, the more I realize that time really is one of our most valuable
        possessions.
        And I don't want to spend all of mine trying to keep up with people who     
        wouldn't notice if I disappeared for six months. Aging well means learning 
        where to invest your time and your heart.
        Call your mama. Have dinner with your grown kids. Get down in the floor and            play with the grandkids even if getting backup isn't quite as graceful as it used
        to be. Make plans with your friends instead of saying, "We really need to get 
        together sometime" for the next three years.
        And at the same time, give yourself permission to stop chasing relationships 
        that are completely one sided. You don't need a hundred people in your circle.
        You need people you can laugh with and cry with, pray with, and call when life 
        gets hard. 
        Love your people well.

        4. Let Your Faith Grow Deeper
        Of all the things I hope to improve with age, I hope my faith is at the top of the 
        list. I don't want to simply grow older. I want to grow wiser.
        I want to worry less because I've seen God provide before. I want to trust Him
        more because I've watched Him carry me through things I once thought would
        break me. I want to recognize His goodness in ordinary days instead of always
        waiting for something big to happen.
        There is something beautiful about a woman who has walked with God for 
        years. And I come from a long legacy of that.
        She doesn't have to know all the answers. In fact, she probably realizes more 
        than ever that she doesn't. But she knows Who does.
        And as we get older, we have something younger women desperately need: 
        experience. We've lived through heartbreaks, disappointments, answered 
        prayers, unanswered prayers, parenting seasons, marriage seasons, losses,
        victories, and plenty of mistakes.
        Titus 2 talks about older women teaching and encouraging younger women. 
        That doesn't mean we have to have everything figured out. It simply means we
        can take what God has taught us and use it to encourage someone coming
        along behind us.
          That's a pretty beautiful way to grow older.

Maybe aging well isn't about staying young. The world spends a lot of time telling women how not to look their age. 
Cover this. Fix this. Smooth this out. Dye that gray hair. Buy the cream. Try the treatment. And there is nothing wrong with enjoying skincare, makeup, cute clothes, or getting your hair done. I certainly don't plan on giving those things up anytime soon.
But I don't want to become so busy trying to not to look older that I forget what a privilege it is to actually get older. There are people who would have given anything for one more birthday. 
So maybe aging well isn't about desperately hold onto who we used to be. Maybe it's about becoming stronger, wiser, kinder, more confident, more grateful, and more grounded in our faith with every year we're given. And don't spend the second half of your life mourning the first half. 

There is still a lot of living left to do! Happy Friday friends!!

Much Love,
Beth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

 Happy Friday, Friends! Today I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for another Friday Favorites. What a week it has been! Having picnics with Wrenley and Makena were pretty high up on my favorites list. She wanted a lunchable (big surprise there!) while Makena and I had tuna salad. Playing outside is a must with Wrenley! And she loves making sure the bird bath has plenty of water! Another thing on my favorites list is listening to Trey play the guitar. This smile is also my favorite! We had a celebration for my son-in-law, Caleb this week. He is a pretty great guy and we are thankful that he is "ours" now :)  He is my favorite son-in-law! As I was studying for my Gospel Project lesson earlier this week I realized we only have 3 more lessons! That means that summer break is just 3 weeks away (for our Wednesday night program)! Although I will still have to prepare lessons for Sunday School and VBS.  Summer is my favorite! This summer will be extra sp...

Friday Favorites

 Woo Hoo, it's Friday! Just last week I was talking about how this month is flying by, but this week has moved at a snail's pace! Today, I am linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for Friday Favorites. I have been working on my fitness for about a year now, more seriously in the past 6 months. One thing I've worked on is getting my daily protein in. I tried the built puff protein bars a while ago and they are wonderful, but earlier this week I found the sour puffs, and wow, those things are surprisingly amazing!! I've also taken the new year to do a little more for myself. I started ordering from Nuuly (a monthly clothing subscription). I have found serveral brands that I have wanted to try. There is no pressure to buy anything. You just simply pick 6 items, wear them for the month and send it back and then pick 6 more items (of course, you can purchase if you like). This is a new favorite of mine. At the end of November I bought tickets to the Jason Aldean conce...

Friday Favorites

 Happy Friday, friends! Today I am linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for another Friday Favorites. This is going to be a rapid-fire Friday favorites because it is getting late and I have to wake up extra early to pick up a special little girl :) The said little girl! Nobody ever told me how much you love your grandbabies! Spending time with Wrenley is always one of my favorites💗 Another one of my favorite things is watching Makena present. This time she was on her "home turf". She did a presentation on The Stuttgart Army Airfield for a historical group at our community center. They had their biggest turnout for a meeting because Makena has so many people who support her and love her. We are thankful for everyone who came. Of course she did a great job. I'm always proud of her. It is always a favorite any time I get a video or picture of my grandson, Wesley. I can't wait until June! My gentle giant, Boone, wanting to do his favorite thing: GO OUTSIDE! Makena ...